|Prime Minister Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP)|
|Description||The Scheme is implemented by Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC), as the nodal agency at the National level. At the State level, the Scheme is implemented through State KVIC Directorates, State Khadi and Village Industries Boards (KVIBs) and District Industries Centres (DICs) and banks. The Government subsidy under the Scheme is routed by KVIC through the identified Banks for eventual distribution to the beneficiaries / entrepreneurs in their Bank accounts.|
|Nature of assistance||The maximum cost of the project/unit admissible under manufacturing sector is Rs.25 lakh and under business/service sector is Rs.10 lakh.|
|Who can apply?||Any individual, above 18 years of age. At least VIII standard pass for projects costing above Rs.10 lakh in the manufacturing sector and above Rs. 5 lakh in the business / service sector. Only new projects are considered for sanction under PMEGP. Self Help Groups (including those belonging to BPL provided that they have not availed benefits under any other Scheme), Institutions registered under Societies Registration Act,1860; Production Co-operative Societies, and Charitable Trusts are also eligible.
Existing Units (under PMRY, REGP or any other scheme of Government of India or State Government) and the units that have already availed Government Subsidy under any other scheme of Government of India or State Government are NOT eligible.
ACHIEVEMENTS SO FAR :-
(i) To generate employment opportunities in rural as well as urban areas of the country through setting up of new self-employment ventures/projects/micro enterprises.
(ii) To bring together widely dispersed traditional artisans/ rural and urban unemployed youth and give them self-employment opportunities to the extent possible, at their place.
(iii) To provide continuous and sustainable employment to a large segment of traditional and prospective artisans and rural and urban unemployed youth in the country, so as to help arrest migration of rural youth to urban areas.
(iv) To increase the wage earning capacity of artisans and contribute to increase in the growth rate of rural and urban employment.
• The maximum cost of the project/unit admissible under manufacturing sector is Rs.25 lakh and under business/service sector is Rs.10 lakh.
• Per capita investment should not exceed ₹ 1.00 lakh in plain areas and ₹ 1.50 lakhs in Hilly areas.
• Own contribution 5% to 10% of project cost.
• General category beneficiaries can avail of margin money subsidy of 25 % of the project cost in rural areas and 15% in urban areas. For beneficiaries belonging to special categories such as scheduled caste/scheduled tribe /women the margin money subsidy is 35% in rural areas and 25% in urban areas.
• Quantum of Margin Money Subsidy is given as follows:
|Categories of beneficiaries under PMEGP||Beneficiary’s own contribution (of project cost)||Rate of Subsidy|
|Area (location of project /unit)||Urban||Rural|
|Special (including SC/ ST/ OBC/ Minorities/ Women, Physically handicapped, Ex-Servicemen, NER, Hill and Border areas etc.||05%||25%||35%|